Mold Allergy Symptoms – Know the Risks, Symptoms and Treatment Options
How Mold Allergy Affects You?
Mold allergy is not like other types of common allergic problems, as it carries high risks. It can happen due to various reasons. However, the most prominent reason is staying in humid or damp and dark conditions or working in such conditions regularly. If you are living in a house, where walls have acquired prominent signs of molds, you are vulnerable to this disease. Before we discuss mold allergy symptoms, it is important for us to know about various risk factors that mold allergy carries. Like, any other allergic reactions, mold allergy causes immense body irritations in different forms.
Generally high fever is the most common aftermath of mold allergy. However, the fever would not be the same for everyone. Some may experience low fever as indoor mold allergy symptoms, while some people may face high fever issues. The fever uses to be a continuous one, and thus it can lead to miserable situations, causing serious health breakdown. Apart from fever, some other risks are there and those are discussed in the following section:
- Mold Induces Asthma: The most serious health damage that can be noted due to mold allergy is asthma. People have the misconception that asthma is a hereditary disease. It can be caused by various reasons and mold allergy is one of those prominent reasons. Mold releases spores, which cause allergic reactions. The same spores are responsible for asthma.
- Fungal Sinusitis: Sinusitis is another common health damage that has been noted to be caused by mold allergy. It is considered as one of the toxic mold allergy symptoms. Not just your nasal path will be affected, but your glands and throat can be infected. If treatments are not carried out at the initial stage, it may lead to serious concerns.
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: Though this happens rarely, it is a serious health issue, caused by mold allergy. Basically, your lung becomes inflamed ion this case.
What Are the Symptoms?
ENT (Ear – Nose – Throat) problems are the commonest symptoms of mold allergy. Mild fever, irritations on the throat area, etc. are considered as some of the basic symptoms, along with mold allergy symptoms headache. Fever associated with mild headache and itchy feeling or irritations can be the cases of mold allergy. Here are some other listed symptoms of mold allergy:
- Running nose
- Sneezing and coughing
- Dry coughing
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Watery eyes
- Constant headache
- Irritated or annoyed mind
Rarely, genital allergy or rashes are noted as the symptoms of mold allergy. If you are undergoing all or some of these symptoms, without any delay, you should contact an experienced doctor.
What are the treatments available?
Treatment of a disease widely depends on the diagnosis of the disease. This is where mold allergy is dangerous. It is hard to diagnose and patient needs to stay under long observation of the doctors. Mold allergy symptoms are common health disorder issues and that is why it is tricky to be diagnosed. For example, if you are experiencing headache, with fever, doctor will prescribe you normal antibiotics, without understanding the root cause. Due to the effects of anti-biotic, you may get short term relief, but in long run, the symptoms will reappear. Here are some of the common treatment options for mold allergy:
- Nasal corticosteroids: Nasal sprays help in preventing inflammation caused by mold allergy. This is the most cost-effective medication and it does not possibly have any side-effects. Some of the common nasal sprays are mometasone (Nasonex), ciclesonide (Omnaris), triamcinolone (Nasacort AQ), etc.
- Antihistamines: This is another widely applied medication against mold allergy. It prevents runny nose, sneezing and coughing. It helps the infections to cure at a quick time. Over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines include fexofenadine (Allegra), loratadine (Alavert, Claritin), cetirizine (Zyrtec Allergy), etc.
- Montelukast: Montelukast is a tablet that is often prescribed by the doctors to those, who are suffering from mold allergy disorders. This tablet may have some side effects for a few people. In that case, you need to consult with your doctor.
The best treatment for mold allergy is to stay away from the things that trigger mold allergy symptoms. If you are suffering from mold allergy symptoms fatigue, you should consult a doctor immediately without trying any home based tricks. Mold allergy mainly happens if you stay in damp atmosphere for long time. If the walls of your house have acquired signs of mold, you need to refurnish your house completely for the safety of you and your family.